The full name per the Sephora website is ROUGE PUR COUTURE Vernis À Lèvres Glossy Stain which is a mouthful to say the least. I'd seen many raves about this product but since I'm not really into lip products - especially bright or dark ones - I just shrugged and moved on, figuring I'd never want to pay a YSL price.
Ever since I got Jemma Kidd cream blush in Pawpaw, I've been in this orange/peach/coral mood. I also wanted something in that range for my lips that could be more of a stain and I could put some Philosophy ultra thick gloss over. Since I'm always fighting dry lips, lipstick can get obnoxious with how flakes are emphasized. I was returning the Smashbox Be Discovered palette at Sephora (the pigmentation was just miserable when applied to the lid with a brush, what a letdown) and of course needed to pick up a few new things. :)
I was thinking about getting #7 Corail Aquatique but when I swatched it in the store it seemed a bit darker than I wanted. With my skintone, most lip colors look pretty dark or intense. I'm more comfortable with a bright than dark. Since my lips are on the bigger side, they are quite a prominent feature on my face, something dark can feel like it's taking over my face. Took another picture the next day to show one layer tapped in for the stained effect only.
I think the orange range of colors work well on me, especially when I'm looking a little pink from the warmer weather, I knew the #8 orange was going to be bright but I figured what the heck. If the texture is nice, and I have the option of a good non-drying stain, maybe I can work it in on a more regular schedule. On my lips initially it looked like an intense orange but it settled into an orange-red. I really like the color!
On the left is one coat, after letting it set up, tapping off the glossiness for a light stain. On the right is two coats which gives good color coverage and a comfortable gloss. It gets very slightly tacky after a few hours, but still generally isn't sticky at all.
Very summer appropriate I'd say!
- Face: Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Pressed Powder in Translucent
- Under eye concealer: Garnier Anti-Dark-Circle roller
- Blush: Sephora Pantone blush duo - Desert Flower (matte) dusting of Coral (shimmer) on cheekbones
- Eye primer: Too Faced Shadow Insurance in Candlelight
- Eyeshadow: Smashbox Be Discovered (figured I'd give it one last chance, can barely see I have anything on! ridiculous)
- Mascara: Maybelline Great Lash Lots of Lashes
- Brows: Urban Decay shadow in Shakedown, Anastasia clear brow gel
- Lips: YSL Glossy Stain in #8 Orange